How To Get Noticed On The Web | Complete Social Media Guide For Business Growth in 2017
How to get noticed on the web | social media management for businesses is a complete guide of what’s currently working for business owners and individuals alike.
The purpose of this article is to convince you of the necessity to create a differentiating factor between you and similar businesses in your industry. Your aim is to find a handful (2-5) factors that places you in a class of your own.
When you’re able to do this effectively using the tools described in this article, you’ll realize that there isn’t any competition in the marketplace only the self-imposed threats and perceived limitations within the minds of the organization.
To start, let’s begin by building your authority in your niche. How well can you breakdown who your business is, what it stands for and clearly define your ideal customers? Do this once correctly and it will improve your ROI and keep you and your team focused on your main objectives.
1. Speak with Authority
- This may seem like a no-brainer yet it’s important to ensure this concept proceeds the rest. If you’re sharing the benefits your company with a new potential client, it’s key to articulate exactly what you set out to do for them in a manner that’s reassuring.
- Answer their questions as accurately as possible ensuring the listener understands that they’re in good hands.
2. Know your company’s strengths
- What sets you apart from other companies in your niche? What things you’re good at?
- What problems have you and do you solve for your customers?
- Do you help increase their bottom line? Do you provide technical or administrative support? If so, then speak about these with confidence and authority.
- What are the company’s values? (Supportive non-judgmental communication? Or is it bottom-line driven?)
- Something that satisfies my curiosity
- Do you play sports, video gams, solar energy, do you like making things?)
- Make a list of all of the company’s achievements.
- Create a list including all of the clients with whom you enjoy working (list 5 top reasons why),
- Break them down to 3-5 topics that you can speak about with confidence.
- Now comes the research. Find out how many other people, or if you’re a B2B company what other businesses, are interested in what you have to offer.
You’ll use this information to write a story about your company. You’ll begin with your company’s vision and mission, the body will include your accomplishments and the conclusion will tie-in who you enjoy working with (your ideal clients) so that readers get an immediate sense if working with you will be a solid fit.
We at Social Owl Media enjoyed this exercise as it provided us with a roadmap that kept us focused on our mission from the start. As a result, we work with companies we’re truly passionate about, resonate with, would support off-line, as well as have fun with during in the management process!
OK, Ready for step 3?
3. Market Research Tools: You’ll need to make sure there aren’t too many competing voices!
- Keywords research
We’re back to our friend keyword research. Not only will this save you years of heart-ache down the road, it will bring you in A LOT more revenue. Cha-ching!
Having proper keyword research done for your company’s website is literally the game changer. We’re talking about SEO or Search Engine Optimization. There’s also SEM which we’ll discuss at a later date. If you’re curious SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing and it’s a service we also offer to companies seeking on-going website marketing.
- You’ll want to find keywords that have lots of people searching for them, but not many sites indexed under those same keywords.
- Doing this makes it more likely customers will find your site instead of a competitors and by using
- Google AdWords Keyword Planner (a free tool) you’ll be well on your way to carving out a space on the web for your company.
- Market Samurai – A bit complicated initially but is more detailed than Google Keywords, you can use it to see which sites get to the top of the ranking and their backlinks and more information.
- These tools make it easier for people to find your blog and make you seen as an authority
Blogs: (wikipedia’s description)
- A blog (formally known as weblog) is a discussion or informational site published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete entries (“posts”) typically displayed in reverse chronological order (the most recent post appears first).
- Many blogs provide commentary on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries; others function more as an online brand advertising of a particular individual or company. A typical blog combines text, images and links to other blogs, web pages and other media related to its topic.
Why do you need a blog to be heard?
You’ll want a blog on your website because it’s the easiest way of getting your message out there! When indexed in the search engines, anyone can find it.
When it comes to blogging you have two options.
- Self-hosted or
- Hosted on sites like WordPress.com/.org
Pros: To Self Hosted
- It’s yours!
- You can have your own domain
- Can personalized with plug-ins
Cons: To self-hosted
- You have to pay for domain and hosting
- Vulnerable to hackers
Pros: To hosted on sites like WordPress.com/.org
- Free (unless you want your own domain name)
- Bulletproof security
- Indexed quickly, spiders from google and other search engines check your site daily
Cons: To hosted on sites like WordPress.com/.org
- It’s not yours, so can be removed without notice
- Restrictions on the subject matter and types of uses, can restrict sales sites
6 Steps to setup a blog on WordPress.com (free)
Go to WordPress.com:
- Choose a theme
- Find a domain (you can redirect a current domain that you own or create a new one)
- Choose the hosting plan (free or paid)
- Create an account
- Verify your email address
- Write your first blog post
Use the digital “Soapbox” by leverage someone else’s blog
- The equivalent to using a soapbox today is Guest-posting on someone else’s blog for free.
- The advantages are that if it’s a popular blog, your posts will get noticed and read by their fans to boost your visibility;
- By giving you a second platform, the blog owner is also giving you an endorsement.
- This process takes some time.
- You’ll have to have a following of readers in order for blog owners to want to be associated with you.
Guest-Posting is a terrific way to both contribute your knowledge and have it read/viewed/listened to by more people.
8 Tips To Guest-posting:
- Have a decent number of well written posts on your own blog (others want to ensure that your content is good)
- Create a list of highly-ranked, high traffic blogs in your niche (start at the bottom of your list and work up to the top, to increase your chances of getting accepted to your #1 blog, you’ll have more practice and skill to approach your favorite blog)
- Contact the blog owner and ask if they accept guest postings. You can’t assume that they do.
- NEVER send an unsolicited guest post! Ask the blog owner what they’re looking for, then write about that. Get a list of keywords from the blog owner to incorporate into guest post and ask them how long they want the post to be. Be sure your article will fit their requirements.
- Provide a couple of different versions of the article to give the blog owner choices, which increases the likelihood that you’ll get published.
- Stick around to respond to the comments that will be posted.
- Don’t published the article anywhere else. Google will “slap” your blog and will not show up in the search engines.
- Thank the blog owners with a thank you E-card or E-mail and offer them the opportunity to post on your own blog.
FUN ON FORUMS
How To Get Noticed on Forums
You’ll use niche forums to position your company as an expert here are 3 reasons why:
- Enables you to get noticed,
- Positions you in front of a specialist audience,
- Link to your website – Gives you a free backlink… and my are they precious!
There’s an online forum for every community. Do a Google search for (your niche)+ forum. There is forum etiquette that you’ll want to understand before diving in.
Go to the forum and read the posts, look at the categories and the top posters. See what gets most appreciated. Once you have a handle on what’s going on in the forum, begin “liking” and commenting on other posts. When you post, make sure that you’re contributing high quality information.
- Post regularly to build up a following
- Do your research before you post information
- Be courteous
- Book Writing:
How To Get Noticed Publishing A Book
We all know the prestige that comes from being published. It gives you ultimate credibility. You must be knowledgeable on a particular subject of course and provide immense value to the reader.
- People will seek you out and listen to what you have to say.
- Writing a book isn’t difficult. It depends on your goals.
- You can go to Upwork.com and use ghost writers once you have a topic in mind.
There are two main types of publications
E-book and Printed books
E-books can be formatted for e-readers like Kindle or in PDF form.
- They are sold for a lower price-point than printed books
- Some e-books are also bought and sold with Private Label Rights (PLR)
- Printed books tend to be held in higher regard than e-books.
- You can distribute your book in both formats
How to Distribute your book
- Your own website
- Via 3rd party distribution website (clickbank.com, Jvzoo.com, amazonkdp.com) these sites will allow affiliate to market them for you for a percentage of the profits.
- Printed Books:
- Via your own website
- Via “print on demand” Createspace.com (owned by Amazon), Blurb.co.uk, Vervante.com
- Via book stores (but requires a hefty investment)
- It’s best to pitch your book at a conventional publisher
How To Get Noticed With Press Releases
They are a win/win situation for everyone. Your business gets publicity and exposer and the news outlet receives quality content. To be effecting with this your content must be interesting and bring worthy news. If you make it into a sales-pitch people will not listen.
- Press releases still work yet are considered a bit “old school”.
Follow this format to create your press release:
- Write “Press Release” at the top left hand corner of the page and put the title date and whether it is an Embargoed notification.
Embargoed means that you wish for the notification to be published on a specific date in the near future.
- Keep the headline under 10 words and make it specific and factual.
- Put the location of the press release (address, city, state, zip code)
- Next, write the news story in a journalistic format, keep it on one page and use paragraphs, if the release continues on another page write “MORE” at the bottom or include page numbers 1 of 3, etc.
- Write background information about yourself and then your contact details
- Finally ask if the contact will be available for interviews
- Write END centered at the very bottom of the page or ###.
- There are services that will write your press release for you, do a quick search.
- Distributing Press releases:
- DIY (if it’s a local matter, it’s fine to create your own press release)
- Press release distribution services are great if you need to reach a wide range of people, cities, states and continents.
If your release gets picked up by a major publication, the sky’s the limit! Be prepared to give statements and or have your PR personnel on hand.
How To Get Noticed on YouTube
YouTube is the second largest search engine on the web. There’s less to get ranked on the first page of Google using YouTube and with less competition you’ll get to the top sooner.
High-ranking YouTube categories are:
- Health and fitness
- Anything teens are into typically trends highly
How To Get A YouTube Video Produced 101
For most people the easiest way to make a video is from your smartphone. One thing you should do is to hold it long ways so that it fits in the size requirements in YouTube. The alternative is to get a HD camcorder for around $100. Pay attention to the sound quality of the device you’re using and shoot videos where it’s quite and use an external microphone to reduce background noise. If you plan to shoot from your iPhone or Android look into the Rode VideoMic Me.
Choose a relevant location and background with proper lighting. Aim for Rembrandt lighting where the light is stronger on one side than on the other. This side isn’t completely dark, but use a smaller light to create contrast. With a dark background you’ll create an inviting video.
- MoviePlus starter edition from Serif (Free)
- Windows Movie Maker (windows.microsoft.com) Free
- MoviePlus X6 Serif (Paid)
- Sony Vegas (sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware)
How to make a YouTube video
This is too long to explain how to do. The best way is to go to YouTube and check out a few videos on this that have already been created.
What types of videos go “Viral”:
What types of videos do NOT go “viral”:
- Bad lighting or sound
Tip: You can always make a quirky video and put your web URL at the bottom.
How To Get Noticed On Periscope: A smartphone app for iOS and Android
Periscope allows you to publicly stream live videos directly from your phone. What’s great about this is that anyone can tune in and start watching at anytime and can comment and “like” it freely.
Periscope is essentially like having your own TV station without the studio and transmitter. It’s somewhat new and is growing quickly. At the time of writing this article, there are approximately 10 million user accounts who are watching the content.
More people are watching what’s happening rather than participating in the content creation aspect on this platform. Twitter, Inc. invested $100 million into purchasing it so you’ll soon see this social media tool be one to dominate the airwaves.
How people currently use Periscope:
- People share their workouts sessions with viewers
- Chatting over coffee
- Talking about specific or random stuff
- People reading books
- TV presenters using it as a more behind-the-scenes
- And more.
What’s great about it is that Periscope will save your video recording for 48 hours so you can download and edit it and then distribute it onto YouTube. WIN!
Other Tried and Tested Ways To Get Noticed
- Adswaps: You need a mailing list for this and you send your ad to someone else’s list and they do the same to your list.
- Twitter: is a great way to reach consumer audience. The average user spends 17 minutes reading tweets. If someone is following you on twitter, there’s a high chance they will read your tweet.
- Facebook Page: or Fan Page or Facebook Ads: People spend about 51 minutes on average on Facebook.
- Google+: is underrated and because it’s ranked by Google you’ll get ranked by Google quickly.
- LinkedIn: is great as a B2B audience. There are two ways to get message out is to participate into discussions in your niche and treat it like a forum. Or you can purchase advertising it’s very similar to Google Adwords.
- Use share buttons on your website or blog. If you have a WordPress blog, use Shareaholic.com
- Article sites: These aren’t as useful for SEO as they use to be and can still be helpful (ezinearticles.com) You can signup for free. If you post an article on ezine.com don’t post it anywhere else as this will be considered duplicate content and ultimately be rejected by their company.
There you have it dear reader… these are currently the best ways to be heard and get noticed on the web. What new information did you gather from this post? What will you try or what have you tried from the list above that hasn’t worked for you?
If you’ve enjoyed reading this and think our information will bring valuable to your company, we love it when you comment and share it with others.
Now that you’ve got a plan, you’ll need to know what to say to get them to choose you or your products. My advanced Unstoppable Copywriting Strategies Blueprint shows you exactly how to take your business for the next level.
Until next time… BeUnstoppable